1 of 23
HAAS INTERNATIONAL - The Sailing Yacht Broker - Haas International AG
+41 414 500 500
SY FREE WINGS is a remarkable sailing yacht built by the famous New Zealand shipyard Thackwray Yachts to a very high standard and build for safe and comfortable world cruising.
Thackwray Yachts has built famous sailing yachts and tall ships like S/Y “SPIRIT OF NEW ZEALAND”, S/Y “AURASTEL” and S/Y “CHARDONNAY”.
Originally launched in 1984 and always cared for by a professional crew she was sold to her actual owner in fall 2016 and sailed to Pula to perform a thorough refit to improve her technical and overall condition.
Class Society RINA was appointed to survey the yacht and to obtain RINA class certification as COMMERCIAL YACHT. Malta Maritime Authority Surveyor was appointed to survey the yacht and obtain Flag State certification as COMMERCIAL YACHT.
SY FREE WINGS is rigged as a ketch and all sails are hydraulically furled, enabling a small crew to run her with ease in all conditions.
Her large deck space invites for relaxation either on the bow or aft. With the well protected and comfortable al fresco seating area aft and the cozy deck house guests can enjoy their time on board in highest comfort yet are able to enjoy the scenery around them.
The full beam central salon with a large dining table and seating opposite enhance the feel of space and comfort on board.
Accommodation is offered with two very large, en-suite VIP cabins and two smaller guest cabins with en-suite bathrooms for the most discerning guests.
Type: Cruising Ketch
Shipyard: Thackwray Yachts Ltd, Auckland-NZ
Naval Architect: Harry Jorgensen
Year: 1984 - Refit 2017/18
Classification: Rina C•HULL•MACH Commercial Yacht
Hull material: Steel
Length O. A.: 29.86m
Length W. L.: 26.14m
Displacement: 128 t. (full load)
Engine: Daimler-Benz Mercedes OM 403, 197 KW / 267 HP
Accommodation: 8 guests in 4 cabins / 5 crew in 3 cabins
Interior Design: Thackwray Yachts Ltd Shipyard
Deck Material: Teck
Paint: International Paint
Main mast dimension: Height 35.50m
Mizzen: Height 14.25m
Boom Length: Foresail 6.8m / Main 9.5m / Mizzen 6m
SAILS / WINCHES / AWNINGS
All sails are made by Hood
Foresails: 62.8 m2
Yankee: 143.9 m2
Genoa: 209 m2
Mainsail: 127.9 m2
Mizzen: 54.7 m2
Gennaker: 300 m2
Total sail area
A) Forsail + Yankee + Mainsail + Mizzen = 389.3 m2
B) Genoa + Mainsail + Mizzen = 391.6 m2
2 Windlass (Anchors) + 2 Aft
Awnings: Aft deck (full)
Daimler-Benz Mercedes Type OM 403 - Power 197 KW / 267 HP
(6’263 hours 12/2019)
John Deere 1x50 KW model M 4276T-50L (4’480 hours 12/2019)
John Deere 1x50 KW model M 4276T-50L (6’045 hours 12/2019)
Denso 1x24 KW model M 964-24N (1'711 hours 12/2019)
Prop Shaft 1
Propeller 1 Fixed / controllable pitch propeller
Water maker: HEM (2’081 hours 12/2019)
Power Pack YES
Bow thruster YES
Air Conditioning YES
Steering gear YES
Fuel tank: 2 x 5000 liters
Fresh water tank: 2 x 5000 liters
Grey +black water tank: 1x
Max speed Under power 11 kts / Under sail 10 kts
Cruising speed Under power 9.7 kts / Under sail 9 kts
Voltages: 220 V ac / 24 V dc / 12 V dc
Inverter N/A(vessel use constantly 220 V)
Battery banks YES
Battery charger YES
Shore power 380 V
Lightning 24 V
Compass / gyro YES
GPS / Plotter YES x3
Radar YES x2
Weather fax YES 1
Chart plotter YES
Depth sounder YES
Wind speed + direction YES
Close-hauled and running YES
Rudder indicator YES
VHF radio telephone YES
2 identical VIP cabins with double bed and ensuite bathrooms
2 identical aft guest cabins with double berth and ensuite bathrooms
1 Deck saloon
1 Lower saloon
1 Dayhead, aft from lower saloon
1 captain cabin with double berth and ensuite bathroom
2 cabins with upper/lower berths, sharing one bathroom
1 crew mess
Refrigerators: 2 large + 1 medium + 1 big
Deep freezer: 2
Bottle cooler: 2
Dish washer: 1
Washing machine: 1
large screen in saloon
individual in guest’s cabins
Radio / Hi-fi: YES
Boarding: 1 Aft
Gangway: 2 midship
Bathing ladder: 2
Deck shower: 2
Deck wash system: YES
TENDER & TOYS
Tender: Navigo 12 VS
Engine: Honda BF 30 / SN
Diving gear: no
2 Paddle board
Inflatable canoe (2 seats)
Life raft: 3 x 8P
Life jackets: 18 Adult - 4 Child
Bilge alarm: YES
Fixed fire installation: YES engine room FM200 - 1 x 46 KG
Fire extinguishers: 5 CO2 - 1 Foam - 7 Dry power
The following major works were carried out during the refit:
The hull survey report is available to a serious buyer.
MAINTENANCE WORKS 2020
Following jobs, maintenance and new spares/items have been implemented on board of the vessel:
1) Exhaust gas pipes are surrounded by water piping. All coupling flanges of the water piping have been removed, treated as necessary or changed, welded and piping pressurized.New special rubber piping installed to connect exhaust gas equipment to main engine.
2) New exhaust gas branches in place on both sides of the main engine.
3) Insulation placed on exhaust gas piping to get lower air temperature in the engine room.
4) Installation of touch screen computer system intended to provide automatic ignition of:
a) auxiliary generators
b) hydraulic pumps
c) cooling pumps
d) alarm for any water entrance in bilge compartments
The system is structured to deliver alarms to screens located in the internal wheelhouse as well as on the bridge and via message through mobile phone to Crew person on watch.
5) A new fridge has been installed in the main saloon. Proper renewal of the wood panels has completed the installation.
6) In addition to fridge under 5) another large fridge has been custom built and placed in a warehouse under the kitchen room. Note that this job has required the rebuilding of part of internal ship’s structures to permit the clamping of the fridge.
7) Sound and temperature absorption insulation has been placed in the built-in wardrobe of both aft cabins.
8) New air condition system has been installed in the kitchen
9) Cockpit two wood tables and doors have been renewed and re –varnished
10) Both masts area on deck have been sand blasted and re – painted AWL grip.
11) Guard – rail around main engine has been modified to offer additional working area.
12) New piping has been installed to increase the cooling performances of the main engine.
13) Anchor well space and associated close warehouse have been modified with construction of a longitudinal bulkhead to permit safer stowage of the port and starboard anchors.
14) Hydraulic winches have been completely dismantled and replaced as necessary.
15) Two additional new stainless-steel mooring bitts have been installed for improved stern mooring
Haas International offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.