1971 International Dragon9m
£75,000 (A$133,357) tax not aplicable
Burton Fleming, East Riding of Yorkshire
1971 International Dragon
One of the last wooden Dragons built in 1971 by Borresens before they started building GRP Dragons. Carronade II has been the subject of a major rebuild by an experienced shipwright who is also a member of the Dragon class and races them.
Built from Central American Mahogany with oak and ash ribs, a new teak deck using carefully selected ¼ inch Burma Teak on a marine ply subdeck has been fitted. Carronade II has retained her original varnished topsides which have undergone a meticulous re varnish with the bottom being epoxy coated below the waterline.
This restoration wasn’t just a lick of paint, it was carefully planned out and if you are wanting to race at (IDA) International Dragon level she is fully ready to go with all the modern fittings, comes complete with a 4 wheeled trailer.
Own an important piece of Dragon history and still be competitive against the modern Dragons.
The Dragon one design keelboat was first designed in 1929 by Johan Anker of Norway. By 1948 the Dragon class had become an Olympic class and remained so until the 1972 Munich Olympics. Without question, the Dragon has elegant metre boat lines with a long keel and, for the first 43 years, they were built from a wood construction.
The class has continued to grow and in early 1973 they started building GRP Dragons, with the same beautiful line as the wooden sisterships. Dragon fleets are represented in 26 countries on 5 continents with some of the best sailors in the world taking part in world class sailing.
It was recorded that in 2004 some 1,444 Dragon boats were registered around the world, with the International Dragon Association managing class rules carefully to ensure the continued high quality of both boats and crew taking part in major events.
Restoration work list
- Keel removed, shot blasted and Zinga and Epoxy coated
- Keel re-bedded and fastened with all new stainless steel keelbolts
- All stem and stern centreline bolts renewed
- Planking repairs, as necessary; with graving pieces set in and limited splining, all in matching mahogany
- Rib repairs, as necessary; with lower sections scarphed, mainly in the common area of the tight turn of the bilge
- Existing wooden structural floors repaired, as necessary
- Existing mast step rebolted at the time of keelbolt renewal
- Repairs to cockpit sides in matching African mahogany and a new cockpit roof in Burma teak curved planks to match the original pattern, with new teak capping around the full cockpit edge
- Complete new deck, with Burma teak covering boards, king planks and margin boards, infilled with ¼” teak strip plank on marine-ply; all to match the original for this period
- Fully re-varnished inside and out and Epoxy coated outside below the waterline
- Rudder tube re-bedded; rudder refurbished, Epoxy coated and re-fitted
- All original fittings polished and re-fitted; through hull fittings re-fastened and running backstays moved towards centreline
- Custom teak cleat bar with centre compass and modern shelf style teak horse fitted
- New and raised cockpit floor fitted in Burma teak planks
- New main, genoa and spinnaker sheets
- Modern winchless genoa system
- Mast ram
- Bartels roller system
- Harken hardware
- All original fittings polished and re-fitted; through hull fittings re-fastened and running backstays moved towards centreline (as per current rules)
- Petticrows mast and boom, with spinnaker pole (little used)
- Teak boom crutch
- Dutch plated, galvanised Dragon trailer, 4-wheel braked with spare wheel.
- Two paddles
- Anchor, chain and warp
- Two mooring lines
- Lifting strops
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
1943 Custom Germàn Frers 52ft Ketch
1953 Baglietto 20m Marconi Cutter
1960 Custom Yachting World Diamond
1937 Custom A.E Luders 6 Metre