Hull # 12 was recently donated to AMIkids and is available for lease with interest free terms to qualified individuals.
Hull # 12 is a very special Friendship 40 maintained and upgraded to the highest standards. The Friendship 40, designed by Ted Fontaine is a work of art. She is crafted in New Zealand. Impeccably designed, she is fast and gorgeous. A large powerful rig offers performance coupled with the ease of a single-handed set up. An in boom furling main is controlled by two buttons at the helmsman's feet. The hydraulic roller furling genoa with electric winches at either side of the helm makes it easy to sit back and enjoy sailing. The low profile cabin top provides a full 360 degree line of sight from the helmstation. The spacious cockpit offers 3 deep settees able to seat 6 or more. The wide beam hull and heavy displacement give a stable and comfortable ride.
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 40 ft 9 in
Beam: 12 ft 10 in
LWL: 30 ft 3 in
Minimum Draft: 3 ft 11 in
Maximum Draft: 9 ft 2 in
Displacement: 22500 lbs
Ballast: 9500 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 67 ft 0 in
Total Power: 40 HP
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: D2-40D
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 492
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Sail drive
Engine Power: 40 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 (55 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Aluminum (33 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (20 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 1
Number of heads: 1
360 Degree Tour
Builder: Friendship Yachts
Designer: Ted Fontaine
WINDBREAKER’s elegantly crafted interior boasts satin-varnished, raised-panel teak joinery, tongue and groove painted hull ceilings with a semi-gloss varnish finish, a comfortable settee, and a fully outfitted custom galley with full standing 6’-4” headroom. She maintains an impressive spaciousness for a boat of her size. With an abundance of storage, custom dish locker and fully functional galley, WINDBREAKER is the perfect venue for sunset cocktails or long weekend excursions. Share drinks at the drop-leaf table, refresh yourself with a shower in the fully-appointed head, and get a good night’s sleep in the large double centerline berth. A custom flush hatch with teak-framed bug screen over the berth allows for stargazing from the bed at night.
WINDBREAKER has been described as the perfect boat for “8 to sail; 6 to eat; 2 to sleep.” The galley currently incorporates a deep refrigerator, microwave, Keurig coffee brewer, oversized sink and propane cook top with oven.
Glossy varnished teak veneer finish on fore and aft joinery. Hull ceilings are glossy varnished v-groove. Athwartship bulkheads in glossy varnished teak. Solid teak with gloss finish for interior trim, locker door and drawer frames, and corner posts.
- Varnished teak with black resin inlay
- Framed edges with solid flat fielded panel teak with gloss finish varnish.
- Solid beaded raised panel teak with lift and pull drawer slides and custom cast bin pulls
- Solid teak drop-leaf table in main salon
- Vanilla Corian, with radiused edges at facia and teak fiddles
- Stainless steel underhung sink in galley, Glacier White Corian sink in head
- Perrin and Rowe wall-mount faucet in galley and Grohe cross-handle mixer tap in head
- Grohe hand-held shower unit mounted on head bulkhead
- Head sole varnished teak and black resin with edge drain to sump and direct overboard discharge pump
- Towel bar, soap dish, toilet paper holder, toilet brush, and tumbler holder
- Sharp microwave/toaster mounted on teak shelf in galley locker
- Keurig coffee maker on pull-out shelf in galley locker
- Custom stainless steel-lined fridge box recessed in galley countertop, with removable plexiglass shelving
- Double berth forward with 5” thick cushion and Perennials Fabrics zip-on cover
- Settees used as additional berths. Stowage shelves and lockers with teak fiddles above settees
- All upholstery Perennials outdoor fabric. Includes cockpit settee cushions and backrests, main salon cushions, forward berth cover and (10) throw pillows
Interior Luxury Package
- Glossy varnished teak bulkheads
- Raised and fielded panels on all drawers and doors
- Drawers in salon table, with dividers for silverware
- Pull-out shelf for coffee maker
- Pull-out shelves for custom dish storage
- Custom stainless steel oversized trash bin in lower galley locker
- Overhead locker doors for extra storage in galley and head
- Teak carcasses in head
- Teak-framed mirror in head and on back of head door
- Custom canvas-padded mast wrap
- Weems and Plath chrome Atlantic series ship’s clock and barometer in salon
- Composite construction using Airex foam in the topsides with solid laminate hull bottom using vinylester resin to minimize print-through. Reinforcements are hand laid, stitched and knitted multiaxial E glass fabrics with carbon fiber in high load areas. Bulkheads are marine-grade plywood laminated into the hull. All cores are fixed using vinylester adhesive.
- Two molded custom consoles for hydraulics, sail controls and engine instruments. Molded recessed sheerstrake.
- Finished with flag blue Awlgrip marine paint.
- Single boot stripe in Awlgrip matterhorn white.
- Epoxy primed bottom w/ classic green anti-fouling paint.
- Composite construction using Airex foam with extra high density core being used in way of all fittings. Reinforcements are hand laid, stitched and knitted multiaxial E glass fabrics with isothalic polyester resin.
Deck and Deck Hardware
All the exterior teak was stripped and varnished in August 2019. Windbraker features custom life lines with stainless steel stanchions.
- Cream colored gelcoat.
- Vertical surfaces finished with glossy gelcoat.
- Cabin house top; Awlgrip nonskid in Matterhorn White.
- Recessed sheerstrake painted to match hull color.
- Molded into foredeck with flush, hinged hatch top. Anchor roller, self launching, with 35 lb. Delta anchor, 60m of 6mm chain.
- Fresh water anchor wash system in anchor locker.
- Lewmar V2 electric stainless steel anchor windlass with two foot buttons and a remote control.
- ***Custom cast stainless steel: two quarter chocks, two midships chocks, two bow chocks big enough to accommodate bulky mooring lines.***
- ***Eight Attwood flush mounted retractable mooring cleats with 4-bolt bases.***
- Six custom fixed tinted glass elliptical ports in cabin trunk.
- Two Lewmar self-tailing primary winches with 2.6:1/9:1 gear ratios and 48.6:1 power ratio.
- Two electric Lewmar self-tailing halyard/centerboard/mainsheet winches with 2.4:1/7.6:1 gear ratio and 44.8:1 power ratio.
- All winch buttons are recessed stainless steel Antal hardware.
- Two Lewmar lightweight 250mm lock-in handles with ball grips.
- Antal winch buttons, radiused genoa T-track, genoa cars and sliders, organizers, screw-in padeyes, stoppers, silver anodized sheaves.
- Three custom-made deck hatches: lazarette, foredeck, and anchor locker.
- One custom stainless steel hatch with glass over salon/forward cabin. Varnished teak companionway sliding hatch with removable varnished teak drop boards with lockable clasp, and custom storage bins.
- Four hinged stainless steel Manship hatches under cockpit settees, two for storage, two for engine access.
- 5’ varnished teak flag staff and 3’x 5’ US yacht ensign commissioning flag. Stainless steel cap rail mounted flag socket.
- Four custom 12” x 24” line bins for halyard/sheet tails and four custom drink holders in cockpit all with polished stainless steel trim and lining.
- Teak deck on cockpit sole with custom angled helmsman floor.
- Mainsheet, centerboard, topping lift to starboard. Main halyard, main reefing line, MPS halyard to port. Using Antal sheet stoppers and passing through Antal triple deck block organizers.
- Varnished teak cockpit coaming cap, 6” wide.
- Varnished teak cabin top nosing.
- Varnished teak cap rail.
- Four varnished teak console tops.
- Varnished teak framed companionway sliding top with stainless rails.
- Varnished teak cockpit seat fiddles.
- Molded cockpit seats finished with cream colored gelcoat.
- Port and starboard facing settees in cockpit, forward facing settee behind steering wheel, all with double angle back rests for ergonomic comfort. All settees come with custom bottom and backrest cushions, 4” thickness. All cushions upholstered in owner’s choice of Perennials or equivalent fabric.
- Custom varnished teak drop leaf table. Table houses, 12V outlet, and insulated, drained cold beverage box with custom varnished teak covers. Stainless steel legs.
- 48” stainless steel wheel with stainless steel rim and elkhide cover.
- Classic steering pedestal with thru-shaft break and classic stainless steel Ritchie compass.
- Storage areas under port and starboard settees.
- Two Stainless steel sheet rimmed bins one each port and starboard by helm.
- Two Stainless steel sheet rimmed bins one each port and starboard by companionway for halyard / sheet storage at base of each winch.
- Custom stainless steel design, four in cockpit, four on deck, all with direct overboard drainage.
Exterior Luxury Package:
- Custom dodger with zip-out side curtains, recessed stainless steel tracks and elkhide-covered grabrail
- Stainless steel braided hoses for hydraulic backstay and vang
- Custom flush stainless steel chafe plates in cockpit coaming for jib sheets
- Lights at mid boom and boom end with dimmer switches
- Varnished teak wine bottle and glass holders on underside of cockpit table lids
- Hand-held fresh water shower on aft deck with flush plate and hot/cold mixer tap
- Stainless steel folding swim ladder
In 2019, there was an extensive list of service performed in the engine room. The engine heat exchanger, raw water pump and hoses were replaced. The sail drive was serviced and other annual maintenance items were serviced as well.
- Volvo 40 HP 4-stroke sail drive engine. Fresh water cooling, Racor filter, and heavy duty 135 amp alternator. Oil change pump included on engine. Only 492hrs of run time.
- Custom stainless steel recessed engine instrument panel with Volvo gauges for tachometer, oil pressure, fuel level and tank level.
- Morse type single-control gearshift and throttle near helmsman. Fuel Tank: 33 gallon welded translucent polyethylene fuel tank with inspection/clean-out port located under cockpit sole and gauge on instrument panel.
- Racor fuel filter. One spare supplied if optional generator is purchased. Vents: Vent line with Racor LG100 vent spillage filters.
- Whitlock drag and link steering system. Rudder: Balanced, elliptical spade rudder constructed with uni-directional glass rovings and 4” diameter carbon fiber shaft with roller type rudder bearings.
- One 12V automatic Jabsco bilge pump and one cockpit operated Whale manual pump.
- Northern Lights 7.36kw Generator with only 120hrs
- (4) 8G8D Endurant 12V DC house batteries, 840 amp hours total
- 12V DC 650 CCA Endurant starting battery
- Custom DC backlit distribution panel with circuit breakers and battery condition meter
- Engine-supplied standard alternator to charge starting bank, additional Leece-Neville 12V DC 130 amp alternator supplied to charge house bank
- 125V / 30 amp shore power connection in cockpit, with 50’ cord
- Battery bank switch with DC main breaker
- 12V DC / 120V AC, 2000W, Xantrex inverter to be switched on the main AC electrical panel. Inverter powers microwave and 110V outlets
- (4) Interior reading lights, (5) dome lights, courtesy lights at forward and aft end of salon table. Centerline dome light with red/white selection switch
- Utility lights in engine room
- Masthead tri-color and anchor, bow, stern, spreaders, foredeck, and (2) boom lights
- 12V plug located in cockpit for searchlight use
- (5) 110V plugs: galley, head, forward cabin, starboard side salon, and engine room
- Clarion CMD5 radio/CD player with iPod holder and hook up, satellite radio, Pioneer speakers in salon and exterior Nautica speakers in cockpit. Wired remote located at helm
- Hot and cold pressure water system to galley, head, shower.
- 111 gallons of water capacity in two independently valved tanks.
- Jabsco FloJet self-priming water pump.
- Force 10, 6-gallon tank to be powered by AC electrical heating element and from recirculating through the main engine.
- Tecma Silence Short electric fresh water toilet with overboard/holding tank discharge. Holding tank with overboard drain/pump out discharge.
- One automatic 12V DC bilge pump mounted in the engine room. Pump will discharge overboard at the waterline with vented loops.
- One manual Whale bilge pump operated from the cockpit.
- Sump Pump:
- One automatic 12V DC bilge pump with direct overboard discharge.
- Forespar flush-mounted sea cocks below the waterline for engine, head, and galley with double-clamped hoses.
Spars and Rigging
- Aluminum mast, Awlgrip finish with two sets of airfoil spreaders, steaming light, internal masthead wire conduit, stainless steel gooseneck, vang lugs, and halyard attachment step.
- Mainsail track for fully-battened mainsail. Two flag halyards to lower spreaders.
- ***Optional Leisure furling boom with fittings for single reef lines, vang lug, and topping lift/mainsheet bale. One light at mid-boom and one at boom end. ***
- Easy Pull Sunbrella Canvas Mainsail Cover
- Custom stainless steel mast collar with integral turning blocks for all lines.
- Rod rigging with Navtec turnbuckles.
- ***All new running Rigging in 2019***
- 2mm braided main halyard, 10mm braided genoa halyard with eye splice to shackle to furler swivel. 12mm braided genoa sheet.
- Stainless steel genoa halyard adjustment on mast track.
- Custom stainless steel chainplates, stem head, and backstay tang.
- Black anodized hydraulic Navtec vang. Backstay: Black anodized hydraulic Navtec backstay.
- ***Optional Reckmann RS2000-20 line drive manual genoa furler. Furling line led aft under deck to starboard primary winch.***
- Two 5’ x 1.25” Antal stainless steel T-tracks with two genoa lead blocks.
Navigation & Electronics
- ***Over $30,000 was spent in 2019 to upgrade the electronics. Including new nima network cables and replacing the thru hull transducer.***
- 5” Ritchie binnacle mounted compass with red LED.
- ***Two B&G Hydra 3000 graphic function displays with masthead wind sensor and depth, speed, and temperature transducers. New in 2019***
- *** Three new B&G tri data displays above the companion way***
- ***Garmin 5208 touch screen system with plotter located in cockpit table. New in 2019***
- One Icom IC-M504 VHF radio located in electrical locker.
- ***B&G VHF Radio located at the navigation station. New in 2019**
- Forward Facing Sonar
- Raymarine E120 Chartplotter located at the nav station
- Meteo Man
- Simrad Autopilot
- Lidgard fully battened Mainsail
- Lidgard furling 110% genoa.
- ***North Sails 150% overlapping cruising code-zero sail fixed to a top-down Fracnor continuous line drive furling system. Never used, like new conditon***
- Custom Sunbrella tent sun awning over boom with stainless steel spreader bars, bracket, and storage bag
- Custom Sunbrella Dodger
- Custom Sunbrella cockpit cover that attaches to aft end of dodger for full cockpit protection
- Custom Sunbrella Bimini with full vinyl window cockpit enclosure
- Custom Sunbrella bow to stern deck cover.
- Custom Sunbrella Cockpit Table Cover
- Custom Sunbrella Wheel and Binnacle Cover
Options, Upgrades and Maintenance
Windbreaker is the most fully loaded Friendship 40 on the market. Windbreaker is the only Friendship 40 with a full custom galley & navigation station to port. The galley features a vanilla colored corian counter top with a refrigerator, 3 burner electric oven and a stainless steel sink. Aft of the galley, the nav station features a full teak chart table with a Raymarine E120 chartplotter, new B&G VHF Radio & a swiveling stool for seating. Maintenance is the key to a boats longevity and holding it's value. Windbreaker saw only top of the line service during the owner's tenure. Windbreaker's extensive options list maximizes comfort and easy sailing. Here's some of the highlights.
- Full Custom Galley
- Custom Navigation Station
- Leisure Furl Boom
- Custom Cockpit Sole Hydraulic Engine Room Hatch Lifter
- Custom Life Lines with Stainless Steel Stanchions
- Hydralic Reckmann Roller Furling Forestay
- (4) 2 Speed Stainless Steel Winches
- Bow thurster controlled by foot pedals at the helm
- Hydralic mainsheet with foot pedal controls
- Remote control for Mainsheet
- Reverse Cycle AC/Heat
- New B&G Electronics Package
- New Garmi GPS Chartplotter
- Forward facing Sonar
- New exterior cockpit cushions with extra large helm seat cushion for improved lines of sight
- New Doyle Mylar Jib ($5000)
- New Gas shocks for companion way access door ($4,000)
- New Engine Heat Exchanger
- New Engine Hoses
- New Engine Raw Water Pump
- Exterior Teak stripped and varnished August 2019
- New Running Rigging 2019
- New Thru-hull transducer
- New nima network cables for the electronic interface
- Weekly detailing
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
*This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.