1977 Swede 55
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Shelburne, VT
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 86,000 (A$ 115,809)
Rosina is a beautiful example of the Knud Reimers designed Swede 55. Conceived as a fast ocean cruising boat, the Swede 55 shines as a daysailor, racer or cruiser. The current owner has done all three over the last ten years of ownership. She has a great race record, including multiple wins. Rosina has outstanding speed in most conditions and is particularly fast and stable on a reach or downwind regularly seeing double digit speeds. She is easily handled and often sailed on and off her mooring single handed. Don't be scared of the overall length - Rosina is well behaved and loads are lighter than most big boats. She turns on a dime and is very repsonsive with a well balanced helm. Rosina is also a great cruiser - the long overhangs provide ample storage space and the below decks layout is well thought out. She is capable in all conditions and Swede 55's have sailed and raced all over the world successfully.
When the current owners were searching for a new sailboat, they were looking for a fast, classic looking sailboat built of fiberglass. The Swede 55 is one of the few classic fiberglass sailboats with a PHRF rating under 100. You get the elegance of a swept shear and long overhangs, but the performance of a much more modern boat. The design has stood the test of time.
Rosina has received extensive updating throughout the years and is ready for her new owners to enjoy. She has spent the last 11 years in fresh water. Her beautifully updated mast, larger sail plan, mainsail track system and sail handling controls separater her from other Swede 55s. She is currently in the water and being enjoyed on a daily basis.
Rosina is available to view.
Check out these website links in "Other Details".
Please call ahead to see!
Please contact Bruce Hill Yacht Sales Inc. at (802) 985-3336
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Fiskastra Varb Shipyard
Designer: Knud Reimers
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 52 ft 6 in
Beam: 9 ft 7 in
LWL: 39 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 6 ft 5 in
Displacement: 16534 lbs
Ballast: 6283 lbs
Total Power: 22 HP
Engine Brand: Volvo
Year Built: 1977
Engine Model: MD11c
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Sail drive
Engine Power: 22 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 Stainless steel (20 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Stainless steel (18 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 (15 Gallons)
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 1
Forward is a V-berth with filler with extra long berths and drawer space to port. The head lies aft with shower. A double hanging locker to starboard. The main salon has an L-shaped settee to port and a straight settee to starboard with a centerline drop leaf teak table. The settee has a foldout portion to make a complete u-shaped seating area. The port and starboard settees can be converted to sea berths that are extra long (for those tall Swedes in your crew). A forward facing navigation stations lies aft and an insulated icebox with refrigeration, a two-burner stove with overn and twin stainless steel sinks. A centerline companionway leads to the cockpit. Aft of the cockpit lies the companionway to the aft cabin which features two full-length berths. The interior is finished in teak (both oiled and varnished) with a teak and holly cabin sole. There is a large amount of storage throughout the boat; in the galley; in the main salon; port and starboard outboard of the settees. The navigation table features a flip top table and chart drawers below.
- Double berth with filler
- Port and starboard shelving
- Four drawers
- Hanging locker
- Opening deck hatch
- Headroom: 6'3"
- Drop leaf dining table
- Starboard settee converts to double berth (7'2")
- Port settee converts to double berth (7'2")
- Storage under settees
- opening hatch
- Port and starboard shelving and sliding storage compartments
- Cold pressurized water
- Handheld shower
- Hanging locker
- Vanity sink basin and mirror
- Opening hatch
- Wilcox Crittenden Skipper 2 bronze head completely rebuilt in 2014 including all new gaskets and valves, new fastners, and a complete repaint/polish. All new hoses, rebuilt pumps. 15 Gallon holding tank with shore and overboard discharge valves.
- Large table
- Six chart drawers
- Fixed electronic navigation instruments
- 2 Burner Origo 6000 stove with oven - non pressurized alcohol
- Double stainless steel sinks
- Pressurized cold water
- Large ice box (rebuilt 2015 with additional area and substantially increased insulation)
- Five storage drawers and pull-out cutting board
- Cabinet storage under sink
- Sliding storage compartments
- Numerous storage compartments behind ice-box and sink area
- Double berth
- Sitting headroom
- Shelving and locker space
- Fuel: 18 gallons stainless steel (replaced from original)
- Water: 20 gallons (replaced from original)
- Cold pressurized water
- Holding: 15 gallon
- 1977 22 HP Volvo MD11c with 110s Saildrive
- Overhauled spring 2016
- Bronze 2-blade geared, folding propeller
- Saildrive to hull gasket replaced spring 2016
Rosina is outfitted with a top of the line, fully updated 12 volt and 120 volt electrical system with 480 AMP hour storage capacity and a 160 AMP alternator for charging and a MasterVolt monitoring and charge management system. This system is properly fused and wired and represents an outstanding upgrade from original system.
- House: Two 8D Lead Acid (NEW July 2017) in a custom battery box with hold down straps. Approximately 480 amp hour capacity.
- Starting: Optima AGM (NEW July 2017) start battery isolated from House charging system.
- 160 amp externally regulated Ample Power Alternator with custom mounting system on engine.
- 35 amp Mastervolt shore power charger with dual outputs.
- Alternator Regulator: Ample Power Smart Regulator V3 with battery temp sensors for house batteries. Programmed for optimal charging profile.
- Starting battery has a separate regulator (Ample Power Isolator Eliminator) to properly charge start battery.
- Power Monitoring: MasterVolt touch screen monitor with controls for MasterVolt shore power charger and MasterVolt shunt. Provides very accurate charging and usage monitoring.
- Main breaker and distribution panel upgraded in 2013.
- 12v distribution panel is a BlueSea 20 breaker system with additional room for expansion.
Lewmar Windlass (rebuilt in 2015)
- Oversized wheel, with a chain to cable drive system with wheel brake. The steering system was completely overhauled in 2014, including new 316SS chain and cables. The rudder was dropped and insptected and the bearings were replaced at the same time. There is an emergency tiller and quadrant that mounts on the top of the rudder shaft. Unlike most emergency tillers, this one is usable as the tiller is over 5' long and does not sweep the cockpit. The quadrant is easily accessed (via the aft cabin), so visual inspection and repairs are a breeze.
- The whole steering system works beautifully, providing a light touch and good helm response. Three full turns lock to lock.
- Nexus NX2 system with Nexus Server, nWindtransducer, APC compass, tri-ducer and multiple displays. Nexus instruments are integrated to Raymarine Chartplotter via NMEA 0183
- Nexus Multi-Display at helm.
- Nexus Autopilot control at helm.
- Nexus Wind-Display on bulkhead.
- Nexus Speed/Depth display on bulkhead
- Nexus Remote Control (autopilot & instrument control) on bulkhead
- Autopilot: Nexus Autopilot, connected to Nexus Server, with monitors for heel, pitch, roll. This sytem does a great job driving the boat both upwind and down in all conditions.
- Autopilot Ram: AlphaMarine systems autopilot drive ram with innovative rudder quadrant that allows push pull (at helm) disengagement for the ram. When the ram is disengaged there is no drag on the helm for enhanced rudder feedback and system reliability.
- Raymarine E7 (located at helm). Integrated with Nexus instruments.
- Flatscreen, 12v
- Lewmar electric windlass
- CQR with chain and rode
- Danforth anchor (40lbs) with 30' chain
- 4 Fenders
- 1 Life ring
- Dock lines
- Swim ladder
- 8 Life jackets
- Bimini top
- Steel cradle
- Doyle Offshore full battened dacron main - 2006
- Doyle 100% jib - 2006
- UK 135% genoa
- Doyle 155% carbon genoa - 2013
- Z-Sails 165sq meter .5oz A2 spinnaker
- UK Sails 165sq meter .75oz A2 spinnaker
- North Sails 1.5ox fractional spinnaker
- Harstick Sails "reacher"
Spars and Rigging
- 7/8ths Fractional rig
- 2002 Mast and boom replaced with a NEW Ballenger Aluminum Spar custom designed for the boat. Boom length extended for additional sail area
- 2003 New standing rigging
- Antal track system for mainsail (includes spare additional set of cars)
- Hall Spars "Quick Vang" system (eliminates the need for a topping lift). Vang controls in cockpit
- Harken mainsheet traveler ( 2008)
- Backstay: 32-1 cascading backstay adjustment system
- Checkstays (not running backs!) used for sail shape and mast control, but not necessary for keeping the mast in the boat
- Aluminum inboard jib tracks
- Aluminum toe rail
Halyards and Sheets:
- Dyneema Mainsail halyard (led to cockpit)
- 2 Dyneema Genoa halyards (led to cockpit)
- Fractional tapered Dyneema spinnaker halyard (led to cockpit)
- Masthead tapered Dyneema spinnaker halyard (led to cockpit)
- Dyneema genoa sheets
- "Flightline" ultralight spinnaker sheets (2015)
- PBO mainsheet
- Dyneema spinnaker tack line (led to cockpit)
- 2 Lewmar self-tailing 55 primary winches (genoa winches)
- 2 Lewmar self-tailing 44 (mainsheet winches)
- 2 Lewmar 3 speed 44 (spinnaker winches)
- Lewmar self-tailing 40 (main/genoa - halyard winch)
- Lewmar self-tailing 30 (spinnaker winch)
- Lewmar self-tailing 16 (sail controls)
- Lewmar 16 (additional halyards)
- Spinlock XX or XTS as needed for load
Maintenance and Repairs
Over the last ten years of ownership, Rosina has received considerable maintenance and upgrades bringing her up to the latest standards as well as keeping her in top shape.
- Removed all hardware and repainted decks and cockpit, inclding all non-skid surfaces using 2-part epoxy paints.
- Rebuilt helm/bridge deck, with an additional beam to support traveler loads. Installed harken "Big Boat" traveler and converted mainsheet to "admirals" type system.
- Upgraded fuel system with new hoses, and dual Raycore fuel filters (in series).
- New cabin sole (teak and holly), custom fitted and epoxy coated on all surfaces.
- Rebuilt halyard control systems, with modified cabin top allowing larger self-tailing halyard winches, and modern (Spinlock XX) clutches. All sail controls and halyards are led aft to the cockpit.
- Electrical and Electronics overhaul: all new electrical system (as detailed above) and all new instruments.
- Wilcox Crittenden Skipper 2 bronze head completely rebuilt, including all new gaskets and valves, new fasteners, and a complete repaint/polish. All new hoses, rebuilt pumps.
- New 12v water pump for fresh water system.
- Manual bilge pump rebuilt.
- Completely rebuilt icebox, with drain, significantly more room than standard, and a tremendous amount of insulation. This box holds the cold for a long time - a huge improvement ove th the original which had very little insulation and a limited size.
- Installed Nexus Autopilot.
- Selected chainplates removed and inspected. Condition was found to be excellent (see images).
- Lifelines replaced with Amsteel.
- Kenwood Bluetooth stereo and speakers installed.
- Windlass rebuilt, reinstalled.
- Volvo MD 11 and 110s overhaul. Engine overhaul included new injectors, water pump, valve adjustment, starter, and more. The enjine runs like a top and starts perfectly.
- Saildrive boot replaced and saildrive received new seals.
- Rewired engine and control panel and installed new ignition switch.
- New Spinlock XX clutch on main halyard.
- Added Lewmar 44 ST halyard winches.
- All batteries replaced (2 house, 1 start battery)
- New bilge pump switch.
- "Wooded" and varnished teak in cockpit
- New teak and holly cabin sole in galley.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
*This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.